Monday 7 May 2012

My troubled mind

http://dasra.org/n/forwebsite/dasra/Reports/dasrareports-tribal-education.pdf

I am slowly digesting this PDF in preparation for the teacher training here from the 15th to 20th May. 


Many topics will be covered during these days with teachers attending from all the 4 Gram Vikas residential schools. I am happy today that I have been able to contribute towards the organizing of these few days and starting dialogue between the various facilitators and managers. 


My worry remains that even after these 5 days, longer term and far more in-depth study or evaluation of the running of these schools needs to be conducted. From quickly asking if this has already been conducted by someone at Gram Vikas, I receive an answer in the negative from a very trusted friend. 


I find this hard to believe. Either way I start digging deeper myself and I came across this article today written by DASRA. A lot of the issues raised here reflect my personal experience of the school I have spent time in. 'A Fine Balance' seems like an excellent title to me and I often feel this way about the schools myself.  Sometimes I am in awe at the contribution it is making and other times I am all too quick to criticize. For instance, the teachers are often ill-informed about tribal life with only a casual interest or understanding of the children they have the responsibility to teach. This can't be right.


 Anyway, I am in a weird mood to write right now. There is a lot to be done or to be trialled. I am sure of that emotion!


Is anyone actually reading my blog?!

No comments:

Post a Comment